Wednesday 10 October 2012

1971 US Hit Parade

JANUARY  2,  1971

1.  My sweet Lord  -  George Harrison
2.  Does anybody know what time it is?  -  Chicago
3.  Lonely days  -  Bee Gees 
4.  Groove me  -  King Floyd 
5.  Your song  -  Elton John 

6.  Domino  -  Van Morrison 
7.  Stoned love  -  The Supremes 
8.  Pay to the piper  -  The Chairmen of the Board
9.  Mother  -  John Lennon 
10. It's impossible (Somos novios)  -  Perry Como


FEBRUARY  6,  1971

1.  Knock three times  -  Dawn
2.  Rose garden  -  Lynn Anderson 
3.  Mr. Bojangles  -  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
4.  If you could read my mind  -  Gordon Lightfoot 
5.  I hear you knocking  -  Dave Edmunds

6.  If I were your woman  -  Gladys Knight & the Pips
7.  Sweet Mary  -  Wadsworth Mansion
8.  Stoney End  -  Barbra Streisand  
9.  Watching Scotty grow  -  Bobby Goldsboro 
10. Love the one you're with  -  Stephen Stills

M A R C H   6,  1971

1.  One bad apple  -  The Osmonds
2.  Just my imagination (Running away with me)  -  The Temptations
3.  She's a lady  -  Tom Jones 
4.  Mama's pearl  -  The Jackson 5
5.  Have you ever seen the rain?  -  Credence Clearwater Revival 

6.  What's going on?  -  Marvin Gaye
7.  What's life?  -  George Harrison 
8.  For all we know  -  Carpenters
9.  Amos Moses  -  Jerry Reed 
10. Doesn't somebody want to be wanted?  -  Partridge Family


A P R I L   3,  1971

1.  Me and Bobby McGee  -  Janis Joplin
2.  Put your hand in the hand  -  Ocean    
3.  If  -  Bread 
4.  Another day  -  Paul McCartney 
5.  I am... I said  -  Neil Diamond 

6.  Wild world  -  Cat Stevens 
7.  Stay awhile  -  The Bells 
8.  One toke over the line  -  Brewer & Shipley 
9.  Where do I begin? (Love Story)  -  Andy Williams
10. Long ago tomorrow  -  B.J. Thomas

M A Y   1,  1971

1.  Joy to the world  -  Three Dog Night 
2.  Want Ads  -  The Honey Cone 
3.  Never can say goodbye  -  The Jackson 5
4.  Me and you and a dog named Boo  -  Lobo 
5.  Rainy days and Mondays  -  Carpenters

6.  Power to the people  -  John Lennon 
7.  Love her madly  -  The Doors 
8.  Funky Nassau  -  The Beginning of the End 
9.  I don't know how to love him  -  Helen Reddy 
10. Chick-A-Boom  -  Daddy Dewdrop
J U N E  5,  1971

1.  Brown sugar  -  The Rolling Stones
2.  It don't come easy  -  Ringo Starr
3.  Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Nation)  -  The Raiders
4.  Don't pull your love  -  Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds 
5.  Treat her like a lady  -  Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose 

6.  Sooner or later  -  The Grass Roots 
7.  Bridge over troubled water  -  Aretha Franklin 
8.  Bring the boys home  -  Freda Payne 
9.  That's the way I've always heard it should be  -  Carly Simon 
10. I know I'm in love  -  Chee-Chee & Peppy


J U L Y  3,  1971

1.  It's too late  -  Carole King
2.  You've got a friend  -  James Taylor 
3.  Mercy, mercy (The ecology)  -  Marvin Gaye  
4.  Take me home country roads  -  John Denver 
5.  Hot pants (She got to use what she got to get what she wants)  -  James Brown 

6.  Wild horses  -  The Rolling Stones 
7.  Here comes that rainy day feeling again  -  The Fortunes 
8.  Moonshadow  -  Cat Stevens 
9.  When you're hot, you're hot  -  Jerry Reed 
10. She's not just another woman  -  The 8th Day

AUGUST  7,  1971

1.  How can you mend a broken heart?
2.  Mr. Big Stuff  -  Jean Knight 
3.  Stick up  -  The Honey Cone 
4.  Sweet hitch-hiker  -  Credence Clearwater Revival 
5.  Liar  -  Three Dog Night 

6.  Signs  -  Five Man Electrical Band 
7.  Beginnings / Colour my world  -  Chicago 
8.  Bangla-Desh  -  George Harrison 
9.  What the world needs now/ Abraham, Martin and John  -  Tom Clay 
10. K-Jee (instr.)  -  The Nite Liters 

'Do you know what I mean?'
SEPTEMBER 4, 1971

1.  Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey - Paul & Linda McCartney
2.  Go away little girl  -  Donny Osmond
3.  Smiling faces sometimes  -  The Undisputed Truth
4.  Do you know what I mean?  -  Lee Michaels
5.  Ain't no sunshine  -  Bill Withers
  
6.  Tired of being alone  -  Al Green    
7.  Aqualung  -  Jethero Tull 
8.  Whacha see is whacha got  -  Dramatics 
9.  If you really love me  -  Stevie Wonder 
10. I just want to celebrate  -  Rare Earth

When I arrived in the US in October 1971, I went to live on top of a go-go bar on Wilson Avenue in Newark, N.J. At night in bed, before I fell asleep, I would listen to the 45rpms blaring in the bar's juke box just below me.

OCTOBER 2,  1971

1.  Maggie May -  Rod Stewart
2.  Superstar  -  Carpenters 
3.  The night they drove Old Dixie down  -  Joan Baez
4.  Spanish Harlem  -  Aretha Franklin 
5.  Sweet city woman  -  Stampeders

6.  Never my love  -  The 5th Dimension
7.  So far away  -  Carole King
8.  Only you know and I know  -  Dave Mason
9.  Baba O'Riley (Teen age lament)  -  The Who 
10. Thin line between love and hate  -  The Persuaders

NOVEMBER 13,  1971

1.  Gypsys, tramps and thieves  -  Cher
2.  Theme from Shaft  -  Isaac Hayes
3.  Imagine  -  John Lennon
4.  Peace train  -  Cat Stevens]
5.  Desiderata  -  Les Crane

6.  Have you seen her?  -  Chi Lites
7.  Everybody's everything  -  Santana
8.  Baby I'm-a want you - Bread
9.  Cherish  -  David Cassidy
10. Sunshine  -  Jonathan Edwards
DECEMBER 18,  1971

1.  Family affair  -  Sly & the Family Stone
2.  Brand new key  -  Melanie
3.  An old-fashioned love song  -  Three Dog Night
4.  Got to be there  -  Michael Jackson
5.  Happy Christmas / War is over  -  John & Yoko & The Plastic Ono Band

6.  All I ever need is you  -  Sonny & Cher
7.  I know I'm losing you  -  Rod Stewart
8.  You are everything  -  Stylistics
9.  Oh, Yoko  -  John Lennon
10. George Jackson  -  Bob Dylan
Yoko & John.

No comments:

Post a Comment