Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Newark N.J. in the 1970s

Pardon me, this is not exactly Newark in the 70s but judging by the looks of the cars it must be Newark in the late 1950s. Well, anyway, this is the post-card I sent my folks back-home in Brazil when I went to live in Newark in 1971. But I remember distinctly well that there was NO Woolworth's on Broad Street by 1971. Newark was a city in a very rapidly stage of decay by then.
This is the infamous 'Sing Sing' apartment building on Lexington Avenue in Newark. Actually, I took this picture in 2001 but apart from the few cars parked by the curb it looks exactly like it was in the 1960s and 1970s. Nowadays the streets surrounding the complex is much cleaner than it used to be in the 70s when it was a health hazard to stroll down the sidewalk because people used to throw stuff from their windows into the street. Times have changed a bit in the Ironbound, Newark, N.J.
Elm Street in the summer of 2001... but except from the car models it might as well have been the summer of 1972...
Synthetic Plastics Co. on Francis Street - a factory where I worked making 45 rpm vynil records in 1972 and 1973.
Same factory, different angle... photo was taken in 2001 but it might as well be 1971.
'Brazilian Go-Go' at the corner of Wilson Avenue & Barbara Street. I lived in the 2nd floor just above the juke-box where they blasted Diana Ross's 'There ain't no mountain high enough' or Rod Stewart's 'Maggie Mae' many-a time.
A diner near 'Sing Sing' where I heard Led Zeppelin's 'Black dog' for the 1st time.
Saint Stephen's on Ferry Street - on the right is Wilson Avenue that up to WWI was called Hamburg Place.

St. Stephen's Church is an Ironbound landmark. Built in 1874 for a German-speaking congregation, which it remained until the 1930s, the church is still Lutheran but uses Spanish and Portuguese in its services. The architect was George Staehlin and the interior has some of the most ornate woodwork in Newark. The church is shown as the first alien spawning point in Steven Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds'. Locals call this site "As Cinco Esquinas/Five Corners."

5 comments:

  1. Hello! I am designing a book cover and need a vintage image of Newark, NJ. I think the one above "Elm Street in the summer of 2001..." would be great. Do you have terms for its use? You mail email me: annegiangiulio@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anne... 'Elm Street in the summer of 2001'is one of the photos I took myself... Feel free to USE IT anyway you want it. I could even send you a better copy if you really need it... I only wish you would show me the results later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lulu. I'm fron the South Ward., but my entire Family grew up on Hawkins St, so it's spiritual looking at these pictures �� thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lulu. I'm fron the South Ward., but my entire Family grew up on Hawkins St, so it's spiritual looking at these pictures �� thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dear Brother Hood, it's my pleasure... thanks for the visit.

      Delete